Monday, December 22, 2014

Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, a teacher's perspective

Are you making any 2015 New Year's Resolutions?  (Please comment below!)

I'm a bit.... adverse to New Year's Resolutions, as I never seem to be able to keep them...  Usually they've been about losing weight, eating healthier, etc., etc.

Because New Year's Resolutions have been so hard for me to keep, one year my resolution was: Wear more flowers in my hair!  Which I did.  With flair!  (See my La Profesora Frida picture for proof!)  ;) 

This year I've taken the leap and have signed up for a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction workshop.  This was something my doctor suggested for me years ago, and at the time I couldn't work it into my schedule, so it went on the back burner.  And I've pulled it back into the forefront once again and am excited to give it a go!

A Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) workshop is 8 weeks long, meeting once a week for 2.5 hours each time.  Then there is a 4 week 1/2 day silent retreat at the very end. 

According to The Center For Mindfulness, I should be able "Learn to cultivate life-long tools that will help you maximize your life, even when facing stress, illness and pain."

During the course I can expect:
  • Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
  • Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
  • Group dialogue and discussions aimed at enhancing awareness in everyday life
  • Individually tailored instruction
  • Daily home assignments
  • Four home practice CDs and a home practice workbook



  • I found these 2 teas at the local health store and thought they'd be a nice addition to my Mindful journey!  :)

    I'm really looking forward to my first class!  I'll keep you all posted as to my thoughts about the MBSR course and my progress!
    ~La Profesora Frida




    No comments:

    Post a Comment